Heritage Quest Magazine 106, edited by Patty S. Meitzler; Published Jul/Aug 2003 by Heritage Creations; New back issue; 128 pp; Item # HQ106; The price of this item includes postage within the United States.
This back issue of Heritage Quest Magazine features finding your family in the newspapers. Newspapers are a great source of genealogical information. You can find many stories as well as vital statistics and facts about your family in the papers.
Articles found in this issue include:
- Finding Great-Grandma in San Quentin, by Megan Smolenyak Smolenyak and Lori Hammell-Davis; Lori learns of her great-grandmother’s legendary status as “a woman with chic, dash, and imagination to say nothing of larceny.” This article demonstrates the power of the often-neglected newspapers as a source for shedding light on a family’s past.
- Getting the Big Picture of the Past Through Newspapers, by James W. Petty, CGRS, AG; Often, conventional genealogical records like census and death documents don’t give us a complete picture of the past. James shows us how he found rich, early-life details about an ancestor by using newspapers.
- Extra! Extra! Read All About Your Ancestors!, by Jeffrey A. Bockman; Since newspapers are sent to and collected in a variety of locations, they cannot all be lost in a single disaster. Where archives have been destroyed, newspapers can be useful in filling in, and may add details not found in vital records, often making an excellent alternate source. Jeffrey shows us how he used newspapers to supplement Cook County, Illinois, records lost due to fire.
- Musings and Gleanings from the World of History and Genealogy: Hidden Corners in Newspapers; Nickname “Addie”; Montreal; Inventory of Cemetery Memorials; Great War for the Empire; Spanish Flu; Farm Depression; Forty and Eight, by Richard L. Hooverson
- Nimble Notes: Maps to Track Your Ancestors; Military Service Records; Bits and Pieces Located with NUCMC; Which Person Do You Claim?, by Donna Potter Phillips
- Adoption Research: Reunions—Searching, Growing, Healing, by Darlene Wilson
- Getting Started: Looking at Maps, by Donna Potter Phillips
- Immigration Sources & Strategies: Compiled Sources in the Ancestral Country, by Kory L. Meyerink, MLS, AG, FUGA
- In the Craziest Places: Our Changing Times—Getting “Googled,” by Janet Elaine Smith
- Cato—Slave Soldier in the Continental Army, by William D. Treadwell
- Internet & Computers: More About Digital Cameras: How They Help Genealogists, by William L. Shelton
- New Software Releases, by Merrill E. Gillette
- Germanic Questions & Answers, by Horst A. Reschke
- Scandinavian Questions & Answers, by Ruth Ellen Maness, AG
- Jewish Newspapers, by Barbara Krasner-Khait
- Grandpa Saw the Elephant: The Civil War Journal of Jonathan Christopher Eager, Part 1, by Charles D. FitzGerald
- From the Publisher
- Community Forum – News
- Book News
- Researchers Directory
The price of this publication includes postage and handling within the United States. Foreign customers please contact us for postage costs.